Here are some suggested tweets / Facebook messages that you could post to help us spread the word…
Support Dudley Council’s fossil fuel divestment motion! Information at divestwmpf.org
Tell your councillor you support Dudley Council’s fossil fuel divestment motion! Information divestwmpf.org
I told my councillor I support Dudley Council’s fossil fuel divestment motion. Will you? Information at divestwmpf.org
Want Dudley to invest in the future, not in fossil fuels? Support the motion to divest! Information at divestwmpf.org
If you have room, you could also add one of the following hashtags:
Tag us in your in post by including @DivestWMPF and tag Dudley Council by including @DudleyBorough
Here are some templates you can use to lobby your councillor via Twitter or Facebook:
Dear Cllr (name of councillor)
I support the fossil fuel divestment motion (POSTCODE)
Information at divestwmpf.org
Cllr (Surname Councillor)
I support the fossil fuel divestment motion (POSTCODE). Please vote yes! Information at divestwmpf.org
Invest in my future not in fossil fuels. Please support the motion to divest!
(POSTCODE) For info visit divestwmpf.org
Cllr (Surname Councillor) Let’s stop investing in fossil fuels!
(POSTCODE). Vote yes! Information at divestwmpf.org
If using Twitter to lobby your councillor, please don’t forget to include their twitter handle so that they see your message. You can usually find out what your councillor’s twitter handle is by typing ‘Cllr (NAME) twitter’ into google. Ensure your voice is heard!
We are really excited that Birmingham City Council will be debating a motion calling on the West Midlands Pension Fund to divest from fossil Fuels.
The motion also calls on the Council to rule out new investments in Fossil Fuels. The Motion will be debated on Tuesday 11th July.
Here is the text of the motion to be debated:
Birmingham City Council recognises that:
- Burning fossil fuels poses a serious risk to the stability of the climate upon which our well-being and economy depend.
- Research demonstrates that up to 80% world’s proven fossil fuel reserves will have to remain unburnt if we are to have a reasonable chance of keeping global warming to less than 2 degrees Celsius, the globally agreed target for climate change mitigation.
- Since 80% of fossil fuels must remain in the ground, the reserves of the fossil fuel industry risk becoming ‘stranded assets’ with little or no value – representing a substantial financial risk for those that invest in them.
- West Midlands Pension Fund currently has over £393 million invested in the oil, coal and gas industries. This is environmentally and financially irresponsible.
- To date, over 500 institutions representing over $3.4 trillion in assets have committed to divest from fossil fuel companies.
In response to this Birmingham City Council pledges to:
A) Review its Investment Strategy and develop and implement a Responsible Investment Policy, which rules out new investments in Fossil fuel companies.
B) Call on West Midlands Pension Fund to divest from fossil fuels by mandating its representative on the Pension Fund Committee to call for the development and adoption of Responsible Investment policies which:
- Immediately freeze any new investment in the top 200 publicly-
traded fossil fuel companies;
- Divest from direct ownership and any commingled funds that include fossil fuel public equities and corporate bonds within 5 years;
- Set out an approach to quantifying and addressing climate change risks affecting all other investments, and
- Focus future investments on areas that minimise climate change risk.
Proposed by Cllr Roger Harmer
Seconded by Cllr Jon Hunt